Thursday, July 11, 2013

Paint Hate

Today the front page of our local newspaper had a picture and an article on how the local Islamic Center had been vandalized.  Someone had spray painted "H8" on the wall of the center.  Things like that are never pleasant to deal with.  I know, someone has spray painted our church building too but not with those two symbols and not during a special season.  Attention was drawn to the fact that it is Ramadan (July 9 - August 7) the most holy time of year for Muslims.  It makes the vandalism more significant.

Vandalism is never right nor is it ever productive.  Prayer, however, can be.  In light of what has happened let me give you a special challenge as a way to deal the tensions of our day.  Would you join me in praying for Muslims for the rest of Ramadan.  We have done this in other formats before but let me ask you to join me by simply going to www.30-days.net and using the prayer guide there.  If you have a problem making that connection, if you will contact me directly, by email at timwilliams@nbcvictoria.org I will be glad to get you a guide.

Let me also ask you to be in prayer for Sunday, July 21 as we will host special friends who are Christian workers in a closed Muslim country.  They will be sharing there lives and work with us.  They have been with us before so many of you know who I am talking about.  For security reasons, I will not say more.  But I will say that for Christians, Ramadan should be a time for prayer not hate.

For the journey...

Tim

No comments: