Friday, July 26, 2013

Know Peace in this World

In the past week I have seen several deeply committed people, sharing Christ's love, fulfilling His call to be on mission go through suffering.  A missionary couple on their way to speak at our church were kept from leaving their country because of a false report on an auto accident.  They had no choice but to pay fines and fees they should not have had to so they could leave their country.

Another committed couple involved in missions is having to come home because their unborn child has a major heart defect that will require several surgeries and care that can only be had here in the states.  My daughter's apartment was smoke damaged from a neighbor's apartment fire while she was completing her summer mission assignment.  Her problems are not near the magnitude of the couple and their child but it all brought home the truth - just because you are serving God, it does not mean you get a free pass on personal problems.  Serving God does not mean you earn some special protection or you are entitled to special life of convenience.  It sometimes means you face a unique set of problems on top of your service. 

In all these cases though, I have begun to see the hand of God provide peace in the problems.  With these extraordinary trials there seems to be an extraordinary presence.  Something is at work in all these people to help them deal with what is before them.

Jesus never promised that if we served him we would earn an exemption from the trials of this life.  When we face them and grumble about the unfairness of them while we serve him, we seem to have bought into a promise he never made.  In fact, Jesus promised us that there would be problems in serving him.  But he also promised us that in those places we could know his peace. 

I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.  In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart!  I have overcome the world.  John 16:33

I can tell when I am off base when I question my misfortune because I am "good" enough to serve him.  I can tell when I am on the right track when I experience his peace in my problems.  So where do you find yourself today?  Pondering the purpose of your problems or experiencing his peace?

For the journey...

Tim

No comments: