Friday, July 19, 2013

Family Reunion

I recently attended a family reunion that was the first of it's kind.  Maybe it is best not to call it a RE-union if it is the first one, but that is really what it felt like.  There were over 3,000 people there -  cowboys and Koreans, Filipinos and Haitian Creoles, Hispanics and Arabic speakers,  African Americans and about "any kind" of Americans you can imagine.  There were 64 different languages spoken in all.  What kind of family am I talking about?  Well, its not the Williams family but the Texas Baptist family - at the first every "Family Gathering" of all the different Baptist families in Texas.  We met in San Antonio and worshipped and prayed together.  It was a really great time.

One high point for me was hearing Pastor Earl Grant, an African American pastor from San Antonio preach on 1 Peter 2:9-10. "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation a people belonging to God..."  Though the whole message was good, one line of the sermon stood out to me, "You do not have value on your own, but you have great value because you are owned."  I like that.  I like belonging to that kind of family and being owned by God.  I hope you do too because that is a glimpse of the family of God - that is a taste of the greatness of His love by which He 'so loves' the whole world.

For the journey...

Tim

No comments: