Friday, July 6, 2012

Feedback

I rarely get responses to my blog.  Sometimes I wonder if people feel like it is a sermon and they are just supposed to pray at the end and go home.   But when I do get a response, especially a very important one, I feel like sharing it with everyone.  Here's one I got from last week's blog about when to honk when someone is not moving at a green light.  Bob Tate emailed me this after that blog.

My Dad was in the hospital just days before we found he had a stage 4 brain tumor. I had been up visiting him and really didn't realize how bad the news would soon be. As I left the hospital parking lot I was following another car who had also been in the hospital lot. When we reached the first signal light it was red....when it turned green the person driving the car in front of me didn't move.....I gave them the Christian 15 seconds before I honked. The driver seemed to come out of their cloud and moved forward.
Weeks and months had passed and Dad had passed away holding my hand in the same hospital. It was just him and me until I left and went to my car to go home and be with my family.  I don't remember much about the short drive home.....but at the first traffic light someone honked at me just like I had done nine months before......the light was green but I didn't react......I was still thinking about my Dad and my Mom and how we were going to handle things now that Dad was gone.  I don't honk much anymore, because when I do that memory flashes back and I am reminded how impatient we are.  We really don't know what is on a person's mind at a red light do we?

Bob said it well.  We never know what that unmoving person at the green light is thinking or experiencing.  It is always better to err on the side of patience.  It is no wonder to me that the first thing that 1 Corinthians 13 says that love is, is patient.

For the journey...

Tim

No comments: