Friday, June 29, 2012

When Would Jesus...

I was taught as a young driver only to honk in cases of warning of danger or possible collision.  Of course where I grew up there were not many traffic lights and cell phones were not invented yet so there was never the case of sitting behind someone talking or texting at a light when it turns green.  And then sitting there some more because the driver in front of you is talking or texting more than paying attention. 

As this happened to me and asI debated honking my horn I struggled with what is the appropriate amount of time to wait after the light turns green before you honk your horn at the distracted nonmoving driver in front.  You don't want to seem too impatient.  As a pastor, I don't want to be recognized as a road rage driven driver.  If I do honk after an appropriate amount of time has passed, being recognized as a pastor, will I been seen as having road rage for just honking at all.  (We do face a stricter judgment and Victoria is still small enough that someone could recognize me).  As I pondered this, then the question hit me, "When would Jesus honk?" 

I don't know the answer to that one but I do know our true character comes out when we are driving and especially when sitting behind someone at a green light who is not moving. 

We don't get to pick who we share the road with.  We also don't get to pick who we share the church with.  That really shows your true nature especially when someone is at a spiritual standstill and it affects you.  We affect each other on the road often with painful results.  On this road to heaven, too often we affect each other in the body of Christ the same way.

I do not know the answer to "When would Jesus honk?"  I do know the answer to how can we have better relationships within the body of Christ.  God's word has a lot of answers to that one.  That's what we will look at this Sunday.

Let me leave you with one more imponderable question to ponder that also came to me while waiting at that green light.  If Jesus where driving and saw the old bumper sticker, "Honk if you love Jesus" would he?

For the journey...

Tim

No comments: