Friday, March 30, 2012

Are You Guilty?

I heard a story when I was in seminary that has stayed with me for nearly 3 decades now.  A British writer and satirist once said that he sent an anonymous letter to ten prominent people in London saying, "I know what you have done.  If I were you I would leave London immediately."  The writer claimed he checked on all ten and all of them left town the week they received the letter. 

I wondered if that were true, it could be easily made up by the writer and who would admit or verify his action?.  I also wondered, could people really be walking around with that much guilt?  I do not know about the truth of the prank but after twenty plus years of pastoring, I do believe that people do walk around with that much guilt. 

We do not need to.  We have a God who forgives, in fact scripture says in Micah 7:18, that God, "delights to show mercy."  He not only forgives but finds pleasure in doing it.  Are you walking around with some guilt in your baggage?  Come this Sunday we are going to work on unpacking those bags.

For the journey...

Tim

No comments: