Thursday, August 18, 2011

Quotes from a Colonoscopy

I have seen several celebrities video their colonoscopies to show later and encourage others to also have it done.  I had a colonoscopy this week but do not fear, there is no video, at least not for the public.  I can encourage all you "50 somethings" who have not had it done to do it.  The procedure itself is a piece of cake as you will see as you read on.  Now drinking the prep, that is a different story but still it is very doable.

As we got ready for the procedure I was a little apprehensive.  My father had a preacher friend who went under sedation and cursed everyone out.  Of course he did not remember it but sheepishly admitted that he hoped he had "gotten it out of his system."  I did not cuss but I was a little out of it for a while. 

As the nurse administered the sedation into my IV she asked if I felt anything.  "Nothing yet," I replied.  Then, what seemed like only seconds later I said, "OK I can feel it taking affect now."  The nurse answered, "Sir, we are already finished with the procedure."  Wow, if only they could make the prep drinking time go by like that.  Some of you are probably thinking, "If only they could make the sermon time go by like that."

Also, they told me later that right after they finished the procedure they told me they were done.  I have no memory of this but apparently my response was, "OK, can I have something to eat now?"  I was pretty hungry by the time it was all done.  In all seriousness, I can encourage all of you who have put it off (like I did) to go do it.  It is not bad at all and it is worth it to find out what is really going on.  We have to know what is going on inside so we can stay healthy.

It is never fun to be carefully and thoroughly examined but it usually turns out to be worth it.  In our church right now we are examining ourselves through the Vital Church process, we are still in the "Kingdom Visioning" stage where right now we are working on a mission statement and a values statement.  You may be asked for your input.  I hope you will answer thoughtfully.  We need to know what is going on inside the body so that we can continue to be healthy.  It works that way in the body of Christ too and you don't have to drink any prep or go under sedation.  Just share from your heart.

For the journey...

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I love this! Thanks for the laugh and for the encouragement. My turn is around the corner, eek. Love that a colonoscopy can bring insight about examining our church from the inside out! lol

Anonymous said...

I do read your blogs, and laughed out loud at this one. Jimmy and I had colonoscopies several years ago and I know exactly what you mean about waking up and not realizing it's all done. I wish a close up of my life appeared as clean as the pictures of my colon! Thank God for His forgiveness, mercy, and grace. C Calaway