Thursday, August 4, 2011

Knowing Where You Are Going

I can hardly believe it is finished and opened.  Laurent Street has been under construction for what?  Seven years?  It just seems like it.  Now we can navigate a newly paved smooth street right up to the church.  I am so glad because the traffic cones and barrels that directed our traffic patterns nearly got me into trouble one day.

I was third in a line of cars driving north on Laurent approaching the Mockingbird intersection when it was under heavy construction.  The traffic lanes were being changed almost daily it seemed.  We were weaving our way through the maze of cones leading up to the intersection.  The car at the front drove over to the left through the cones, then the car in front of me and so I followed.  I think it hit all of us about the same time that we all had just pulled into a lane that was meant for oncoming traffic.  There were only two lanes open and we were in the wrong one.  I had just followed the guys in front of me.  We all were able to get back into the right lane before any south bound traffic came our way but it did leave me with a funny feeling.  I had just followed the car in front of me and I had been led astray.

In our fast paced, chaotic, ever changing, always under construction world, it is important to know where you are going.  We can't just follow the guy in front of us or drive through the traffic cones the way we did the day before.  They may have changed.  Our days call for us to be focused followers of Christ.  Focused on Him; focused on the mission.  That's why we are reconsidering the church's mission statement.  To be honest, our new statement will not be much different from the old one, but hopefully as we prayerfully consider where we are going, we will begin to follow Christ more carefully, personally, intimately and not just follow the guy who happens to be in front of us.

For the journey...

No comments: