Friday, December 10, 2010

Why I Spoke to the City Council

Someone stopped me last night to say they saw me on Channel 15 speaking to the Victoria city council at the last meeting.  I told him that yes I did speak to the council and that I would be praying for him to have something more fulfilling in life than watching city council meetings replayed on channel 15.

In all seriousness though, I did have a burden that I wanted to share with the council and it is also something you can be praying about.  On October 17 a young man under the influence of synthetic marijuana disrupted our evening service which happened to be a gathering of area churches for our regional association.  The young man was delusional and paranoid believing that, "God was speaking" to him telling him that his girl friend was "Satan."  His girl friend was also there crying and hysterical about his behavior. (It was pretty exciting for an associational meeting).  Phil Swihart and I dealt with this young man for much of the rest of evening to get him calmed down and back in a place he felt safe.

That was my first awareness of anything about synthetic marijuana.  What I have found since, deeply disturbs me.  It is legally sold here in Victoria at places of business as an incense but used commonly to be smoked like marijuana.  It is a mixture of common herbs sprayed with powerful chemical compounds to give a "high." 

Synthetic marijuana has caused many similar, serious reactions as the young man had in our church.  Though an internet video proclaims it as a safe legal high it is anything but safe.  It has been banned in several states but Texas has not yet acted though many municipalities in Texas  have acted to ban it with in their city.  That is what I was asking the city council to do here in our city.

One council person assured me that it would come up for discussion at the next city council meeting.  Would you join me in prayer for our city leaders as they wrestle with this growing problem and pray for the problem in the people of our city. 

No comments: