Tuesday, March 15, 2016

He Knows My Name

     “Grayson, Bobby, Katy, whatever your name is please pick up that toy.”  This is how a typical conversation may begin at our home.  I’m not sure about you, but having a wife, three children, and two dogs I easily get confused on who I am talking to.  This is especially true when I am flustered or frustrated.  I’m sure this has never happened to any of you reading this.  Why am I sharing this with you?  Reading through the scriptures recently I noticed several times God reminding us that He knows us personally even calling us by name. 

 “But now thus says the Lord, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine.” Isaiah 43:1

 “I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep” John 10:14-15

 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you” Jeremiah 1:5

     I’m not sure about you but it is very humbling to consider I get confused with my very small family yet God knows each name of the ones He created.  With roughly 7.1 billion people on this planet that is no small task.  Not only does He know who we are but He has plans for each one of us.  Again being the leader of a small family it is often hard for me just to keep up with our weekly schedule let alone the future plans.  All of these things have allowed me to focus on just how small and weak we truly are.  There is nothing we could do that could even come close to the power of God.  Why is that God feels the need to tell us so many times how He knows us and created us?  It is because to many times in days of trial and tribulation our minds wonder and question if God really hears us, knows us, or cares about us. 

     He knows our voice but do you know His?  My children know my voice because they hear me frequently.  When they are playing outside and I call for them they come because my voice is familiar to them. Do we know the voice of God? How can you know the voice of God?  Listen for Him.  If you listen you will hear.  We do not become familiar with something by doing it once or twice a month you must be constantly listening for God’s voice.  Isn’t it good to know that our Father is never distracted from us, never forgets our name, and never takes His attention from us?  This week take some time to actually listen for God.  Clear your thoughts and remove the distractions and just spend some time talking with God.  Remember you don’t need to introduce yourself He already knows your name! 


 Tom Smith
Pastor of Music and Worship

No comments: