Friday, June 26, 2015

The Light of Glory

Driving north from town at the end of the day not too long ago, I could not help but look at the gorgeous sunset off to my left.  The clouds were in a very unusual, "rough looking" pattern and the glow of the setting sun was shining on them in a beautiful way to bring out the intricate details of their composure.  I had never seen clouds like that before.

After driving a little further, the sun had now set and I glanced back at the clouds.  There was no longer any sunlight on them and the "rough," unusual pattern now just looked ugly and unusual.  The clouds had not changed, the sunlight had.  Without the light, they just looked weird and gloomy.  With the light, they were beautiful and intricate.  Too bad the clouds could not follow the light.

We can be a lot like those clouds.  When we are allowing the light of God to shine on us in what we do in our every day life, he gives us the ability, in some small way, to reflect his glory.  When I am living for myself, when I am not following him or reflecting the light of his love and truth in everyday life, I can just look weird and probably pretty gloomy.  I cannot live the Christian life without the light of Christ and his word.  When I live for his glory and not my own, that light shines.

We live in some very dark times, as I write this, I have just read the reports of terrorist attacks in at least three places world-wide.  We live in changing times, as I write this, the Supreme Court has just made its ruling legalizing same-sex marriage.  For those of us who seek to live following the light of his Word, it can seem like the sun is setting.  It is not, it still shines.  We, unlike those clouds, can follow the light. The question is, will we allow it to shine upon us and thus through us as we have opportunity?  Even in dark times?  Even in changing times?

Jesus put it this way, "I am the light of the world.  Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."  John 8:12

Where is a place that you will reflect his light today?  How will you do it?

for the journey...

Tim

Note to Northsiders:  I will be gone Sunday, taking my daughter to the airport for her trip to China.  Sunday, July 5, I will be preaching on "How Jesus Defined Marriage."  I appreciate your prayers.

No comments: