Friday, June 5, 2015

A Two Way Teachable Moment

When she had just learned to walk, one of my daughters (I will not say which one) began to get into a lot of things that she shouldn't because she could now reach them.  One day, things got really quiet around our house, and I was supposed to be watching her while my wife, Judith, finished cooking dinner.  Quietness is very often a sign that things are not right.  I found her in our living room destroying a dried flower arrangement that had, until recently, been out of her reach.

I saw a great opportunity for a teachable moment.  I walked over to her, got down on my hands and knees to be at her level and said very authoritatively, "No, you may not touch that."  She looked at me a moment then when back to her flower disarrangement.  I repeated my fatherly command as I moved closer to her face, "No, you may not do that."

She looked at me for a moment longer than before, then she did something that reversed the teachable moment.  She took one hand and put it over my mouth, then proceeded with the other hand to continue to break up the dried flowers.  I could not help but laugh.  But the thought quickly came, "No, I can't let this just slide even if I am laughing, this is a moment for teaching discipline."  So, trying not to smile, I shook her hands free of my mouth and the dried flowers, said "No," again and then we went off to a little time out.  I wondered if that was enough but tears starting coming pretty quickly - from her, not me - which let me know she was getting the message.

Sometimes, not often though, childish behavior can be funny.  Always, without exception though, childish disobedience must be disciplined.  You can go laugh later if you have too.  It does not take too much disobedience before the "cute" wears off.

It also brought home how much our sin nature is a part of our lives, even from a very early age.  How often have I wished to put my hand over the voice of conviction that says, "No, this behavior is wrong?" Then use my other hand to continue to do what I want. 

Not only is it disobedience, it gives us a divided heart and life, trying to silence our conscience on one hand while trying to do life our way with the other.  There are times that we are too young to see that though and that is where we need the guidance of a parent who loves us enough to discipline us.  Thank goodness we have a Father God who loves us enough to speak truth into our lives.  What would you say about your life right now?  Are you listening or are you trying to cover up his voice?  We will talk about discipline, children and God this week as we look at the "Four Needs of Every Child" on Sunday.  I hope you can come with a free conscience and free hands.

for the journey...

Tim

No comments: