Friday, January 23, 2015

Flashback

This is what the Lord says:
"Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls."  Jeremiah 6:16

One morning this week, I was in my driveway pushing the newspaper with the end of my crutch to a place where I could more easily and safely pick it up when I had a flashback.  It was a memory from high school, but now it spoke to my situation and enabled me to see things in a different light.

It was my sophomore year, sitting near the window on the second floor of Yoakum High School waiting for my first period class to start.  I watched out the window as Mr. Winchester, who lived just across the street from the school, went to pick up his morning newspapers.  Mr. Winchester had been the long time principal of Yoakum High.  He was there when my father was a student.  He was there when my oldest sister was a student.  By the time my high school years had rolled around, he had retired but he was a frequent substitute. 

Mr.Winchester had overcome much to live such a long and productive life.  He suffered a broken back as a young man and all that could be done for him in those days was a form of spinal fusion, which meant he had very limited, if any, ability to bend his spine from his hips to his neck.  He walked assisted by two canes.  It seemed to take much effort but he always seemed to have a positive disposition.

I watched him that morning as he took his two canes and used the tips to push the newspapers he had received that day along the ground toward a mesquite tree in his front yard. He was quite a reader and had several papers delivered daily, probably every newspaper you could receive in Yoakum, Texas.  Once he got them all to the base of the low, sloping trunk of the tree, he carefully inched them up, one by one along the trunk of the tree using his cane tips, until it was high enough for him to reach.  He would quickly stuff a paper under his arm and then go for another one.  It was a long and tedious task.  I would see him do that day after day through out my sophomore year.  That first day I saw him do it, I marveled at it but it soon became a routine that I did not bother to watch. 

Now flashing back as I pushed my paper along the driveway with my crutch, I had a new a profound appreciation for what he did just to get his morning news.  And a greater appreciation for what he did with his life.  He overcame a life scarring, handicapping injury.  He had influenced generations of young people in my home town. 

Years after his death, he was still influencing me.  I have to do things like this for a few weeks.  He had to do things like this for most of his life.  How many other tasks had he conquered with his canes and sheer determination?  I found myself newly inspired to get through this time of my limitations by being reminded of how he overcame his.

It is interesting how God can use our memories.  Something we saw years ago can be brought to our minds and God can show us something new - something for our present and for our future.  This Sunday we will begin a new sermon series "Ancient Paths."  In it we will see how the experiences of the psalmists from centuries ago can still guide our paths today.  See you Sunday.

For the journey...

Tim





No comments: