Friday, September 5, 2014

Washing Windows

Recently we had a new glass storm door put in on our back door.  As I looked out of the new, clean glass and then looked at the windows near it, I saw how very dirty my windows were.  I needed to do something about this so I set about to wash our windows on Labor Day.  They looked pretty clean after I got through but since they have dried I have found numerous streaks and spots I missed.  I have gone back to clean them and I still see more!  It has become a little obsession of mine, when I look at a window, I look for spots.  This is very discouraging because I am realizing I can never get them completely clean.

One day this week while I was looking from the inside and seeing more missed spots, streaks and some new things that had blown onto a window, it is like the Lord tapped my shoulder and said, "You cannot get anything completely clean yourself, not your windows, not your life."  As I thought of that it also hit me the purpose of windows is to see out and let light in, not to only look for spots. 

It is that way in my spiritual life as well.  There has to be some sort of settling in my mind that I cannot get myself perfectly clean and never will.  I don't have to live with dirty windows in my spiritual life though because 1 John 1:9 tells me "if I confess my sin, He is faithful and just to forgive my sin and cleanse me from all unrighteousness."  My spiritual life needs to include this "cleaning of windows" but that is not all their is, there is so much more.  There are spiritual windows that are meant to be seen through to things on the other side.  There are spiritual windows that let in light. I can get obsessed with just cleaning my windows and never seeing what is on the other side. That is not how I was meant to live.

This Sunday, we are going to look at "Two Paths to God?"  Can we get so caught up in the rules of righteousness that we never see the One on the other side of our spiritual windows?  Yes, we can and we do.  But if we let Jesus take care of this, we look through those windows and see the One who wants to clean us up and show us great things on the other side.  He also wants to shine in His light.  Let's pray we see things clearly.

for the journey...

Tim

No comments: