Friday, September 26, 2014

The Squeeze of the World Around You

I saw on the news this week that a very creative farmer has been growing his pumpkins inside a precast mold this fall so that they grow formed to look like a "Frankenstein" head or some other Halloween associated character.  I tried to find photos for this blog but could not.  On the TV news video I saw, they looked like plastic but were in fact real whole pumpkins shaped like a head.

Let me say here that I am neither endorsing nor advertising Halloween decorations.  I personally don't like them but from my farm background though I do have to say this is a pretty inventive guy because he is getting $75 per pumpkin.  My hats off to his ingenuity though I will not ever pay $75 for a pumpkin no matter who it looks like.

All this did remind me of this verse from J. B. Phillips translation of the book of Romans -
Don’t let the world around you squeeze you into its own mold, but let God re-mold your minds from within, so that you may prove in practice that the plan of God for you is good, meets all his demands and moves towards the goal of true maturity.  Romans 12:2

We live in a world that will squeeze us into its mold if we let it.  It will squeeze us financially, morally, emotionally, spiritually, relationally - any way that we can imagine being squeezed it will and often for someone else's profit. 

Those pumpkins don't have a choice but we do.  We have something strong enough to break the mold the world tries to put us into - the power of Christ in us.  If you are feeling like one of those pumpkins this week, I pray what we will look at Sunday will help you.  Let's all come to break our molds and be "unsqueezed."

for the journey...

Tim

No comments: