Monday, June 30, 2014

Sabbatical


Sabbatical  

noun: a period of time during which someone does not work at his or her regular job and is able to rest, travel, do research, etc.

Ok, I swore I would never do what I just did.  I have heard this done so many times - I promised myself I would not resort to using a Webster Dictionary definition to speak or write about something but now I have.  Maybe I need to take a break to recharge my creative batteries.

Thankfully, I have a church that understands that.  After ten years of pastoring at Northside, I was given a sabbatical leave of six weeks.  No, I am not making this up, just check with the Personnel Committee (as soon as they all return from their vacations).  I am writing this post to let you all know that I will be taking my leave for the month of July and the first two weeks of August.

We have a capable and hard-working staff here and I leave things in their well-equipped hands.  Mickey Ewing and Dean Meade will be taking care of my preaching/teaching responsibilities while I am gone.  They always do a great job and I know that you will support them well.  I will not be doing a blog, don't worry, you will find other things to read on the internet until I get back.  I promise you, you will.

What will I be doing?  There is a whole list of things – working on my parent’s place that I have long neglected, visiting other churches, having a colonoscopy, seeing my daughters and something I have never done before, going on a full two week vacation.  I keep hearing people talk about a “weekend.”  Since I have worked Sundays as a pastor for 26 years, I am going to try to find out just what is a “weekend?”  Maybe I should look it up in the dictionary.
for the journey...
Tim

No comments: