Friday, June 20, 2014

Bergdahl, Redemption and Me

Disclaimer:  In this post, I will be talking about a controversial figure in the news and decisions that were made regarding him that are equally controversial.  There are many others who will debate these topics much better than I will.  My goal is not to make any kind of point about the rightness or wrongness of actions taken by and for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl - though those are important discussions worthy of debate.  I simply want to share some analogies to my (our) spiritual life from what we are seeing in the news.

A few months ago, I could have told you that there was an American soldier being held by the Taliban but I could not have told you anything more than that.  Now we all know the name of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, we wish we knew more of why he left his post and what his intentions were.  There is still a lot of controversy and will continue to be.  It has caused me to do some reflection on my own spiritual life though, that is what I want to share in this post.

The redeeming of someone's life is never simple, clear, easy or cheap.  It is costly, controversial, difficult and messy.  So was my redemption from sin.  And always there is the question, "Was it really worth the costs?"  Was what was given up worth what was gained?  What will be the future repercussions?

I must admit that I, and every human being since Adam and Eve spoke to the serpent in the garden, have had questionable, unfathomable and totally illogical dalliances with an enemy whose sole purpose is to steal, kill and destroy.

The very reason I needed redemption was because I had, in a sense, wandered away from my post - of what I knew to be right and what I professed to believe.  In so doing, I was taken captive by an enemy who used me to do his will.  I was lost and powerless to free myself.

My King, determined that I was worth redeeming, though the cost for that redemption was high.  It is said that six soldiers died in the search for Sgt. Bergdahl and they were not able to find him or secure his release, despite their best efforts and their supreme sacrifice.

My redeemer, sent to deliver me, did find me and secure my release at a great personal price.  Then there was the dealing with my wandering.  I was found guilty of my desertion that got me into trouble in the first place. 

Then here is the amazing thing - my redeemer then took my punishment for my failings upon himself. He took my sentence and died so that I could be set free.  Was I really worth it?  What could I give back in payment even if I devoted the rest of my life to fulfilling my duty that I had forsaken?  Nothing could ever be enough.  Yet my redeemer did all this lovingly and willingly.

This whole case shows me in a way I had not seen before the costliness of my own sin - it always costs me and it always costs others and it always causes a mess that I cannot clean up.  It also shows me the great love and sacrifice of my redeemer, who set me free.

This Lord's Day, we will come to the table to examine ourselves.  I have some new gratitude for my savior.  Will join me?

for the journey...

Tim

No comments: