Friday, April 27, 2012

Thankful for What I Do Not Know

The trip to Israel was great.  We were very blessed to be able to go.  There was, as I had hoped and as some of you prayed, many "connection points" that were made there.  A connection point being made with a place mentioned in the Bible and a connection made while there with the God of the Bible.

One connection was as I was standing on the Tell Megiddo looking out over what we would now call the valley of Armageddon.  The valley is fruitful, peaceful place.  Our guide explained that the mountain we could see in the distance across the valley was Mount Tabor, the scene of Israel's victory under the judge Deborah.  The high hill with the city on top near it and actually closer to the valley was and is Nazareth.  With that comment came a connection point.  I never realized that Jesus lived most of his life looking out from Nazareth at what we would call the valley of Armageddon.

Here is what hit me - the Alpha and the Omega were here in this place.  The one who created it all, the one who became flesh and dwelt among us all and the one who will come again to conclude it all where here in this place.

I grew thankful for what I knew about Jesus and how the more you know, the more you realize there is to know.  He revealed God to us and we can know Him.  But I also grew thankful for what I do not know.  If everything were revealed to me of what would happen from this day until the day that the events in the book of Revelation regarding that valley are fulfilled, I know I could not stand it or find joy in life.  There would be a dread of what is coming that would be greater than my capacity to trust. 

What did Jesus think as he looked over that same valley from the elevation of Nazareth?  I cannot say I can fathom it but I can say it makes me thankful for what I do not know.  I am increasingly thankful that what I do know and what has been revealed, is enough - more than enough.

For the journey...

Tim

No comments: