Friday, February 24, 2012

Finding the Light

Last month I did a wedding that had some unusual mishaps.  The first was that a flower girl passed out.  We got through that and we went on (she is OK by the way).  Then when it came time to light the unity candle, it would not light.  The wick on the unity candle had burned down into the middle of the candle and was being submerged by melted wax as the couple tried to light it.  After watching them struggle for a while, not knowing anything more to try than what they were doing, an idea popped into my head. 

I went around to the back side of the candle holder, pulled the unity candle from its place and turned it upside down so the melted wax would drip out onto the base that held the candle.  I saw the wick was still very short and we would be right back where we started if I put it back in place.  Another idea came, which has to be from God because I usually don't get more than one good idea a day.  I held the unity candle upside down and told the couple to place the flames of their individual candles onto the wick area.  It worked.  Their candles burned enough of the wax away from the wick so that the unity candle would finally light.  I put it back in place and it began to burn though still not brightly.  It was good enough to proceed.  The congregation applauded.  I pronounced them husband and wife, had them kiss and we finished.  The unity candle barely burned but it did give it's light.

Light can be hard to come by sometimes.  Like that unity candle, we struggle to get the light we need for decisions, for discernment or for direction.  God wants to give us his "light."  He wants to show us his will and his way.  But let's be honest, even the most experienced Christians can struggle in finding the light in a time of crisis.   Sometimes we need others to help us.  Sometimes we need to try things we have never done before.  But mainly, what we need to do is know that we can never get to the light of God's guidance apart from getting to God; or better, God getting to us. Even though God does give it, sometimes we have to do our best to find it.  A simple but powerful verse tells us, "You will seek me and find me when you search for me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:13

God does not try to hide himself or hide his will from us.  It's just that sometimes we have such a hard time seeing the light he gives, it takes a full hearted effort for us to see it.  This Sunday, we will talk more about the light that Jesus gives to guide our lives.  I hope you come  - with all your heart.

For the journey...

Tim

1 comment:

Bill White said...

Tim, I've experienced the same frustrations in weddings. Once I was doing a wedding with another pastor helping (I think this was in Orange, rather than Victoria). The unity candle just would not light. The couple tried and tried. I was standing there wondering what to do, and about to just "skip past it," when the other pastor reached into his pocket, took out a pocket knife and picked up the candler. He carved a "crater" around the wick, put it back and said, "Try it now." They did, and it lit up beautifully. Similar experience to yours, but you went on to draw a beautiful spiritual application from it. Thanks for your insight!
- Bill White