Tuesday, November 23, 2010

What I Almost Missed

I moved somethings on my desk this week and found an envelope. Now I must admit I am a messy desk person.  I live by a sign I once saw, "A clean desk is a sign of a sick mind."  But as I came across this envelope that had been placed on my desk by someone I did not see and buried inadvertently in my busyness I found a wonderful note marking Clergy Appreciation month.  Yes, that was October and this is the end of November, it was buried well.

I opened the card and found a loving note of appreciation and enough money for me to take my family out for a nice meal.  Wow!  How long had that been there?  How many times had I passed over it, just inches from it but not knowing its blessing.  I was too caught up in other things.

How often are God's blessings like that?  They lay there unopened in our busyness waiting for the moment of our pausing to take care of "lesser things" -  like cleaning my desk a little.  It reminds me of how grateful I am to be where I am, to be the pastor of this church and to have people like you to share my life with. 

This holiday season I am going to try to slow down and savor the blessings that abound and the people that I am blessed with.  Oh, and I will clean my desk more often.

Happy Thanksgiving!

For the journey...

No comments: