Thursday, September 16, 2010

What Really Lasts?

Early in August we were driving my daughter home from DFW Airport through the maze of freeways and constructions zones that is the metroplex when we came into an area I thought I should know.  There was road work going on but I knew I had driven this part of the freeway many times before but something was different.

Around a detoured corner we passed a huge pile of concrete rubble and twisted steel rebar.  "What IS that?" I wondered out loud.  Then it hit me what that WAS.  It was Texas Stadium, recently imploded, now being broken down into dump truck size loads and being thrown away. 

I flashed back to my first of only two times to go there.  When I was in high school my aunt and uncle took me to see the Dallas Cowboys play the St. Louis Cardinals on Thanksgiving Day 1976.  I saw Stauback and Landry and other men I thought to be "immortal" in a place I thought would be "eternal."  I could not have imagined on that day, that it would all be rubble on this day.

As I get older, it amazes me now how many things that I thought would last - that I assumed would always be there - are now gone.  We don't have a good grip on "eternal."  But God brings what is really lasting within any one's grasp.  True eternity is as close as finding a faith in your own heart and allowing words to come out of your own mouth. In an amazing simplicity God brings eternity to us and asks us to make a choice, a decision about what we believe to be eternal and about what we trust to last.  We will look at that this Sunday.  Come ready to make a choice.

No comments: