Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Financial Authenticity



Our theme for the year has been, “A Journey of Authenticity.” We have been examining what it means to journey authentically with our Lord. This authenticity relates to our faith and trust of God, our interaction with others, and our willingness to step out in faith to do things that we might not think we are capable of. As we consider this journey of authenticity, we must ask, “Does it relate to our finances as well?” Do we trust God to provide for our needs? Do we trust God enough to step out in faith as it relates to our giving?

If you are paying attention to our tithes and offerings you will notice that we are lagging behind. Of course, as the leader of this church I do not like to see that. However, that is not my greatest concern. My greatest desire is for you to discover the joy and freedom of giving. If I may, let me share a bit of my story with you.

As a young adult, in spite of the fact I grew up in a Christian home and was taught about tithing, I was not faithful to the tithe. I served the first six years of my adult life in various ministry capacities that included youth ministering, missions work, and serving as a Baptist Student Ministries director (BSU back then). While God was incredibly faithful to me, I was not so faithful as it came to finances. For some reason, I was never able to establish a habit of tithing. I was well aware that scripture said, “Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. And thereby put me to the test, says the LORD of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you a blessing until there is no more need” (Malachi 3:10). And, “Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Corinthians 9:7). Yet, I did not give.

When Kimberly and I got engaged, we had long discussions about how we would handle our money as a married couple. One of the things we agreed to was being faithful in the tithe. Early on, it was difficult. There were many times we paid bills and were tempted to skip the tithe because it would cut us short on grocery money or leave little fun money. However, we had made a commitment and when one of us was weak, the other would provide the accountability (the weak one was usually me).

As time went on, we began to notice how God protected and blessed our finances. Not is some “name it claim it, give and you’ll get rich,” sort of a way, but in subtle ways that we could recognize, God was taking care of us. This summer we will celebrate 20 years of marriage. All these years later we still faithfully and joyfully give our tithe. I cannot tell you that there have not been financial struggles, but I can tell you that God has seen us through every single time.

The joy and happiness that we have received from giving has far surpassed any amount of money that has been given up. Tithing frees you up to give to other worthy causes and ministries, only multiplying blessing upon blessing. Let me encourage you, if you are not tithing currently, begin developing a plan to get there. I promise, you will not out give God.

Honored to be your pastor,
Darrell

No comments: