Friday, March 27, 2015

Mere Mortals?

This week, I got to hold and pray over a baby born that day.  As I held him, some of the things I had been reading over for this Sunday's message came to my mind.  This baby, born this morning in March will live forever.  What a wonderful, powerful thing God has given us the privilege to be a part of - bringing life into this world. To know that each person born will live forever in eternity, to know that each person bears the image of God and to know that each person is loved by God enough that He sent His only son does not always hit me daily but it did at that moment.

C. S. Lewis wrote that we have never met a mere mortal.  That when the sun and moon and stars are gone and the mountain and seas have disappeared, you and I will still be alive somewhere in eternity.  I read this week that the sun will burn at least for another 4 billion years.  Two and a half billion years from now the sun will expand so much that it will burn up all of life on earth.  You and I will not be alive on this earth by then, but you don't have to worry.  You have an eternal home made possible through faith in Jesus.

Jesus came to make a way for us to spend eternity with him, but apart from his saving power, we have an eternity before us but not with him.  Eternity apart from Jesus, just the thought of that is hell.  Jesus taught that hell is even more than what we think but so is eternity with him.  “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him” 1 Corinthians 2:9 

The church at Corinth had a problem with us being physically raised to live in eternity. Paul wrote 1 Corinthians 15 to get their attention.  God got my attention this week when I held a baby.  Let's pray he gets our attention this week as he holds us by his love.

for the journey...

Tim

No comments: