Friday, February 27, 2015

Get Well Cards

Kindergartener get well cards are the best.  I got several hand drawn cards from our Kindergarteners several weeks ago and I have held on to them because they are so cute.  Let me give you some samples:
  • "I hope you feel beter pastertim." - with lots of hand drawn heart (it was close to Valentine's Day so I am sure they were killing two birds with one stone)
  • "Your going to get better!!!  I love you Pastor Tim!  - more hearts  - this kid is going to be a motivational speaker or a coach.  I cannot do their exclamation points justice but this guy really likes exclamation points.
  • "I hope yous get well soon."  Maybe this kid is from New York or Australia - Do they still use the term "yous guys"
  • "I LOVE YOU !  Im'e sorry that you brook yorr leag."  This one came with the picture of a bandaged foot and big heart.  Don't ever let spelling get in the way of expressing your feelings.
  • "hope your foot gets better." - the front cover had a big heart drawn on it with a wheel chair and a walking boot in the heart.
  • One card simply had a the word "Love" on the cover and picture of a horse with a bandaged back leg inside.
  • Another card was from a kid who had to have been there when I told the story of breaking my foot on the San Antonio River Walk.  He had drawn a picture of the Alamo, then something that looks like a long walkway and then me on a crutch.  That was the outside cover.  The inside and back however will filled with pictures of, as he called it "Minecraft."  I give him credit for paying attention in church even if his attention quickly turned to a video game for the bulk of the card.
It takes a level of maturity to send a get well card, these kids are too young to have broken a foot or leg (I like the spelling "leag' better actually).  They have never been on crutches but they understood I was hurt and needed encouragement.  They gave it in their own unique way. And somehow they have begun to grasp that there is something else at work in life than just the things they have experienced.  They are becoming aware of what is going on in other people's lives.  To be able to see a bigger picture and be moved to action - that is always a mark of maturity.

How mature are you willing to become?  We are about to embark on a mission trip to help people who live in a somewhat different culture than us, even though they live in the same state.  Most of us have never faced life as they have to live it.  The mark we leave on their hearts will be a sign of our maturity in caring and in loving.

We don't have to do it perfectly, but we must do it lovingly.

for the journey...

Tim

It was a mark of maturity when young Joseph, alone and recently sold into slavery by his own brothers, knew it was not right to give in to Mrs. Potiphar's persistent requests.  He knew that this was not right in the eyes of God.  He expressed what he knew was right even under pressure to give it up. 

No comments: