Friday, May 23, 2014

Borderline Dangerous

I went to see a controversial movie last night.  It is being universally panned by media and movie critics.  Here are a few of their comments:
  • "unintentionally grotesque" and "worthy of damnation" Rafer Guzman, Newsday
  • "depressingly regressive and borderline dangerous" Christy Lemire, rogerebert.com
  • The movie, "consigns the [main] character into Eisenhower-esque irrelevance" Inkoo Kang
Other words I picked up here and there by more than one reviewer, "sexiest" and "un-relatable."   I saw no positive reviews by reviewers.  What did I see?

I saw a Christian movie about two stay at home mom's who invite their pastor's wife out for a quiet dinner (with out husbands and children) called "Mom's Night Out."  I laughed harder in this movie than I have in a long time.  I did not have to feel uncomfortable about the humor because it was all clean and, for me, totally relatable.  Let's just say nothing goes as planned for the ladies and their families when they take a "Mom's Night Out."

I cannot see how so much negative has been spewed at a simple comedy with a good hearted message.  Of course, it is not something new to see a Christian movie being blasted by critics.  That will always be the case, but "borderline dangerous?"  Another reviewer spoke of how Christians should not even attempt a comedy movie because comedy by its nature had to have "tension" over things appropriate.  There was also the lament that the movie was not "as crass as I had hoped it would be."  Clean comedy is dead - at least to reviewers. Audiences though seem to be enjoying it.

As a Christian, do you feel that you are seen more and more as the enemy just because you are a Christian?  It seems that way to me.  This Sunday, we will talk about how Paul dealt with that.  It should be no surprise to us that if we really live for Christ we will really offend those don't by our mere existence.  This is not a problem without benefits and blessings though.  I hope you will join me Sunday for a message that I am sure will be "borderline dangerous."

for the journey...

Tim

No comments: