Friday, April 25, 2014

Joy Full

Some of the most joyful people I have known have been the people most unlikely to have it.  In my days of doing ministry in prison, I can recount some men who taught me a lot about having joy.  They did not talk to me about it, they simply showed it to me while living in some pretty dire circumstances - un-air conditioned, crowded, dreary dorms living among the desperate and dangerous.

I remember one young black man from Colorado; he was one of the best worship leaders I have ever been around.  We sang everything with out any instruments except for our clapping hands.  Every time he lead us, I always experienced a very real sense of worship, largely because he seemed to express so much joy in leading us.  He was miles away from any family.  He was in prison for a very serious crime, yet he was full of joy.  What he and others taught me is that joy is a choice.  I can choose joy wherever I may be circumstantially because I have a relationship with Jesus.

Joy, like many great spiritual experiences, is more likely to be caught before it can ever be taught.  Much like C. S. Lewis said about peace, joy is also something that cannot be had and does not exist apart from God himself.  If we really follow God long enough and close enough, he will lead us to joy.  It comes second in order only to love as a fruit of the spirit in Paul's list in Galatians.

Dallas Willard said, God is, "the most joyous being in the universe."  So how much joy rubbed off on you today?  How much got shared with others?  How do we grow in it?  These are some of the things we will look at on Sunday and beyond as we look at the joy of Paul in the book of Philippians.  I would enjoy your company in it.

for the journey...

Tim

No comments: