Thursday, March 27, 2014

Defining Daily Bread

As we pray through what Jesus taught us to pray in the Lord's Prayer, I am finding that I need to redefine, "daily bread."  What got me started on this was beginning The Daniel Plan this past week to get healthier and make better choices about food.

I have always thought this request of daily bread was about having enough to eat.  How often is that really a problem for us in America?  I am seeing it now as a prayer of how to handle "to much" rather than not having enough. 

There was a reason that God only provided manna for that day (except for the day before the Sabbath).  Yes, it was a matter of daily dependence but it also avoided any over indulgence.  God is very wise.

I have also been struck by Rick Warren's words at the beginning of The Daniel Plan.  He talks of growing up in a Baptist pastor's home where there was never any alcohol, smoking was also forbidden but food of any kind and in any amount was ok.  That is how they celebrated everything - food.  It was that way where I grew up too.  It has been that way for my children.  Perhaps there are new places and new ways to pray for daily bread.

Come this Sunday as we explore what that means and we let God redefine things.

for the journey...

Tim

No comments: