Thursday, June 6, 2013

If only...

If only...

I have had several friends in ministry that have spoken about how those two words speak with so much regret, so much remorse.  "If only I had not spent so much time at work, maybe my marriage would have worked out."  "If only I had put my daughter in a different school, maybe she wouldn't be in the trouble she is in today."  "If only we had walked closer with the Lord, we would not have made the bad decisions that we made."  "If only we had not gotten in so much debt, may be we could have retired by now."  "If only..."

Those words do echo with sadness.  But Paul had a different direction in his "if only" statement.  It is in Acts 20:24, "I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only..."  Sounds pretty bleak doesn't it, but look at what comes next.  "...if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me - the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace."  Instead of an "if only" that looked back, his looked ahead.  His "if only" was his life focus - his life mission, not his life regret.

I read these words and I decided this week, this is a great focus for me in mid-life.  I need to memorize them and make sure that my "if only" looks ahead, not back.  I need keep my focus on the truth that life has meaning and purpose if only we focus on the task that God has given each of us - "to testify to the gospel of God's grace."

This Sunday we are going to look at what does it mean to be on mission?  Each of us has a story to tell.  Each of us has a task before us.  How will you choose your "if only" for the rest of your life?  Looking back or looking ahead?  With an "if only" from regret in something you did or with an "if only" that leads to renewal in something God is doing?

For the journey...
Tim

No comments: