Friday, December 7, 2012

Plumber's Peace

Note:  To more fully appreciate this post you may want to read the post from 7/28/2011 "I am Not a Plumber"

We had more plumbing adventures at our house last week, our kitchen sink faucet pretty much came undone.  Some important looking piece of gasket fell out of it and it would not shut off.  I was able to get it somewhat back together so that I could turn the water off but the whole thing left me feeling pretty uncomfortable.  The faucet had the look and I got the feeling, this could fall apart again at any time. 

Adding to my anxiety, it was Friday and after some phone calls I found there was no help available until the next week.  So I gave my family faucet first aid instructions of how to handle the handle very carefully and how to go under the sink to the cut offs in case we had a complete faucet failure. 

We made it through the weekend and decided we needed to replace our chipped and dented sink if we were going to replace the faucet so we got our new supplies and waited for the plumbers.  They came right on time and spent a couple of hours replacing faucet and sink.

I watched them work for a while and I was amazed.  There were no bent or leaking pipes, no skinned knuckles, no hopeless looks of frustration - all of the things that usually accompany my plumbing efforts.  There was just skilled work by a couple of guys who have done this before.

In an odd way, it was peaceful.  They fixed my faucet and sink quietly and efficiently and then left.  Everything was back in working order, even better than it had been before and all my anxiety was gone.  It can be funny how the experience of peace comes to us.  I was in over my head, called and waited on someone who could help.  They came and did their job and it brought me peace.

That is not unlike how peace comes from Jesus.  When we are in over our heads and we call on him, he comes and brings peace with his presence - for even bigger things than broken faucets.  He works peace into our lives by being able to fix broken things.  We are going to look at his peace this Sunday in Advent.  Do you have any "faucet fears" in your life?  I know someone you can call.

For the journey...

Tim

No comments: