Friday, June 3, 2011

Prayer Muscles

Prayer is in the news today.  A judge has blocked even the mention of prayer and the word "prayer" and "amen" from the Medina Valley High School graduation exercises.  Judges may be able to block public prayers at public school functions but no one can keep a person from really turning to God.  Though I do not agree with that judge, a judge has never been a hindrance to my prayer, busyness, distractions, spiritual coldness - those things have been my biggest problems.  I think for most Christians a lack of prayer does not come from being told not to pray but from choosing not to pray.

I came across this statement from Richard Foster that helps me.  "We must never wait until we feel like praying before we pray for others.  Prayer is like any other work; we may not feel like working, but once we have been at it a bit, we begin to feel like working...our prayer muscles need to be limbered up a bit and once the blood-flow of intercession begins, we will find that we feel like praying."

Individual Christians and churches may need times of their "prayer muscles" being limbered up.  This Sunday will be a day like that.  I hope you will come stretched and ready for a good workout.

For the journey...

No comments: