Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A Mission Trip Lesson

As we return to the Valley for a mission trip, I am painfully reminded of a lesson a learned a couple of trips back.  It was the last day and I was delivering some of the left over items we had to a church by myself.  Everyone else was loading and leaving and I was to make this delivery and go get my daughter Kelley and head home.  Walking back to my pickup after leaving the items at a vacant church, I had a sickening realization -  I had locked my keys in my truck.

I was already running late, people were waiting, a long trip home was in front of me, I was tired and I had locked my keys in my truck.  After several phone calls, I was finally able to get a locksmith and he told me it would be a while before he could come.  I sat and waited and called and made excuses to the people waiting on me to get my daughter so we and they could head home.

What seemed like hours later, (it was actually sooner than I had been told) the locksmith showed up and in 5 seconds had my door unlocked.  I hurriedly paid him, thanked him and as I was getting in my truck, he asked why I was down here.  I quickly told him, then he asked more questions.  I gave him a tract (or something spiritual) and told him I had to be on my way.  It was several miles down the road when it hit me what I had done.  I had a man asking me honestly inquisitive questions about spiritual things but I was too irritated with myself to really hear him and talk to him.  I had missed a great opportunity because I was in a hurry.  I don't know what could have been and that is what bothers me - I don't know what could have been.

I read once where it is impossible to show someone love when you are in a hurry.  I know now that is true. Join me in asking God to slow us down, even in our worst moments, and see the people and opportunities God puts in front of us.

For the journey...

No comments: