Friday, February 11, 2011

"And That is All of Us"

I saw my words in a Face Book post this week.  Two brothers were spending the night with another elementary aged boy; as the three finished up their bed time prayers altogether there was a final, all inclusive, "Amen."  One of the boys then responded, "And that is all of us."  That last phrase is something I have unconsciously gotten into the habit of saying when we all as a church say "Amen" to some one's commitment to join our church.  He picked it up and used it at an appropriate place.

I wonder what else those little ears throughout the congregation are picking up and looking for an opportunity to use?  What else do they latch on to and think, "That is the way church is supposed to be?"  What kind of things do they see and it enters their mind and soul, "This is what we do at church?"

My prayer is that they see a church loving each other and come to believe, "This is how it is supposed to be."  I pray they hear positive words of encouragement and commitment given to one another in church and begin to believe, "This is what it should be."  It is my desire that they hear words of worship and sense hearts being given to God and think, "This is what we do in church."  And I pray that they see such a life in those of us going before them that they aspire, "That is what I want to do."  I hope they pick up the Christian life and following Christ from us so well that when they come across a place in life that doesn't measure up to what they have known and seen here, they would be able to see what should be and what could be and follow God to find it.  May they all come to know a gospel that tells them how God loves the world and they will be able to say, "And that is all of us."

No comments: