Thursday, October 20, 2011

Band Aides

I cut the tip of my right thumb while carving up an apple.  It is not a bad cut just a very annoying one that really likes to bleed.  I need to keep a band aide on it and that causes its own problems.  It is very hard to text with an iPhone with a band aide on your thumb, it is kind of like boxing with one hand tied behind your back - well maybe not that painful just frustrating and ineffective. Then there is the question I get every time I shake some one's hand, "What happened to your thumb?"  At least this week I can tell people that have to read my blog to find out.  It is easier to say that than to say I did something dumb while I was in a hurry.

My wife saw a brand of band aides this week that have answers to the inevitable question written on them, but instead of saying "I was cutting up an apple" these bandages have labels that say, "Shark bite," "Knife fight,"or "Ninja attack."  It sounds a whole lot cooler and they may actually make the injury hurt less, especially when answering questions when you did something stupid.

It made me think about how we handle people who come into church who have obvious wounds; not the band aide type but the 'see it in their eyes' type.  What kind of questions do we make them answer?  Do we label them with band aides that say "Fell to temptation," "Lost my job," or "Divorced?"  What do we do when we come to church hurting?  Do we try to put a light hearted spin on it so it doesn't seem like we are weak or that we don't make mistakes.  Would our band aides say, "Not hurting that bad," "I'm not really that dumb" or "I will be better soon?"

How would it be if we could come to church just as we are and even if we are hurting, know that someone there would give us a band aide with out questions and with out labels?  The truth is, that is what God does when we really connect with Him in worship.  He helps our hurts; He knows our pain and its causes.  We cannot hide from Him and so He does not need to label us.

Now comes the obvious question, "Ok, how do we connect with Him that way?"  Well, just like I have been telling people who ask about my thumb to read my blog, for the answer to that one, you have to hear my sermon this week.  See you Sunday, band aides and all.

For the journey...

Tim

No comments: